Saturday, May 29, 2021

Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare

 

Romeo & Juliet is a play about two lovers who are from rival families. Their parents would never approve of their relationship, so they meet up in secret, falling harder for each other every day.

I have very mixed feelings about this play. I disliked how much emphasis there was on “love at first sight”, because I personally don’t believe that you call fall in love with someone as soon as you lay eyes on them. This made the book seem kind of unrealistic and hard to relate to. However, I did like how the ending was tragic. The ending strayed from a stereotypical “happily ever after” that is common in these kinds of love stories, making it very refreshing to read. I would recommend this book to someone who enjoys classic love stories.

Review written by Victoria, Grade 9