Thursday, June 10, 2021

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

The Poet X is a book made entirely of poems. It’s about a young girl named Xiomara Batista who feels lost, alone, and unheard in her life. Using slam poetry, she works to understand the world and find her identity.

Although I personally don’t enjoy poetry, The Poet X was a great read. I liked how the author wrote the story in poems rather than a more traditional format. Being a slam poet herself, I feel like Acevedo was able to portray Xiomara’s emotions more deeply through this format. I also liked how the story reached out to many young readers who have similar thoughts and conflicts as Xiomara. Feeling alone and unheard, even around people who are supposed to be supporting you in your life can feel awful, and I’m glad that this book was able to portray that. I would recommend this novel to anyone who needs a boost of confidence or reassurance in their lives.

Review written by Victoria, Grade 9